There are several ways to work with me, which you can read more about on this page.
The “Finally Understand” Small Book Series:
These are short, easily read in a couple of hours, booklets; each broken into easily digestible topics. One of the best compliments I’ve received was, “this book is something you’d expect to find in an airplane seat pocket.” They’re written in non-technical plain English. You do not have to be a human resources specialist or spend hours researching the topics. These books will ensure you finally understand.
- Finally Understand the Federal Employees Retirement System
- Finally Understand the Civil Service Retirement System & CSRS Offset
- Finally Understand Special Provisions Retirement
- Finally Understand Social Security Retirement (Coming Soon)
- Finally Understand Federal Insurance Benefits (Coming Soon)
- Finally Understand the Thrift Savings Program (Coming Soon)
- Finally Understand How FEHB Interacts with Medicare (Coming Soon)
- Finally Understand your Federal Benefits as a New Employee (Coming Soon)
- Finally Understand How to Provide for Your Family After you Pass Away (Coming Soon)
- Finally Understand your DoD Firefighter Retirement (Coming Soon)
- Finally Understand your Title 38 Retirement (Coming Soon)
- Finally Understand the Military Blended Retirement System (Coming Soon)
Finally Understand your Federal Retirement & Benefits: A Virtual Course Bringing it all Together:
Many agencies are no longer paying for retirement seminars. Many employees are not able to attend a live presentation. That’s unfortunate and can leave you at a disadvantage, with a lot of unanswered questions, concerns, and uncertainty as you contemplate the next big step of retirement
The virtual course is your answer. It provides everything you need in one place. In Finally Understand your Federal Retirement & Benefits, you will learn:
- What counts as creditable service
- Making deposits and redposits for civilian and military time
- When you will be eligible to retire
- How to calculate your benefits
- The FERS Supplement
- Federal and state tax consequences
- Survivor & death benefits available to your loved ones
- Social Security retirement
- Thrift Savings Program withdrawal options
- Health, life, dental/vision, and long term care insurances
- Plus a whole lot more
You’ll see videos of me, live in the classroom. Download pdfs to refer to as you go through the virtual course, and the retirement process. Utilize the checklist to ensure you’re covering all of your bases as you put this retirement puzzle together.
Take the class where and when it’s convenient for you. Go at your own pace.
This course includes access to a private Facebook group where I set up weekly office hours. During those times, we can chat about any questions or concerns you have. You get live answers from your own, personal, human resources specialist. You no longer have to go through the process by yourself.
Spend the day with me. You’ll leave knowing everything you need to about your personal retirement benefits. In-person events cover everything addressed in the virtual course but Live! Whether your agency is sponsoring sessions, or you come as an individual to one of our “community sessions”, you’ll learn from a seasoned federal human resources specialist in an interactive environment with other federal attendees. You will learn:
- The foundations of retirement within the federal government
- Military and civilian deposits (aka “buy back”) and redeposit
- Retirement eligibility
- Computation of financial benefits including your high-3, pension, supplement, and Social Security
- The type of things that will be subtracted from your federal pension, and the order you’ll pay them
- Cost of living adjustments (COLA)
- How to pick the best day to retire
- Considerations in making a decision about survivor benefits
- Federal and state taxes
- Plus a whole lot more
Rest assured, unlike the free seminars some financial planners hold, for the sole purpose of mining for customers, our sessions are purely – 100% – instructional. We provide information upon which you can then make your personal decisions. Our seminars provide the most current, accurate, and comprehensive retirement and benefits information available.
In complete transparency and direct adherence to TSP’s Agency Advisory.
We do NOT:
- Make recommendations related to any specific financial product or service
- Sell financial products/services, nor allow people who do, into our sessions
- Sell supplemental financial planning or insurance services, nor allow people who do, into our sessions
- Request or solicit employee contact information
- Brand with the name or contact information for any financial services firm
- Distribute business cards, flyers, or marketing materials for financial services firms
- Contact attendees after class
Should you decide that what you really want is one-on-one personalized benefits information, we provide private consultation services. You and I will talk on the telephone, via internet, or in-person (if I happen to be in your city) about your retirement questions and concerns. You’ll have an opportunity to provide your paperwork and documentation to me. I will then prepare a detailed and comprehensive personal retirement report including:
- Your creditable service for retirement purposes
- Calculation of your high-3 average salary
- Calculation of your monthly annuity (and FERS Supplement if applicable)
- Relevant, personalized information about survivor/death benefits
- Lump sum payments available to your loved ones when you pass
- Your Federal Employees Health Benefits and Medicare equation
- Your Federal Employees Group Life Insurance situation and options
- Your Federal Employees Dental & Vision Insurance options
- Your Federal Long Term Care Insurance options
- Thrift Savings Plan withdrawal considerations and options
- Things for you to consider and do, moving forward
Have a little fun. You’ve earned it. After working for the federal government long enough to reach retirement eligibility, it’s time to show off. Our ExFed teeshirts and caps are the perfect way to celebrate your accomplishment. They also make terrific office farewell gifts.