2018 Medicare Rates Released

Pinnacle Personnel Services LLC  |  Debbie Hatch

 
Medicare Part A
Is typically paid through a payroll tax.  Employers pay 1.45% of earnings and employees pay a minimum of 1.45% themselves.  Under the Affordable Care Act of 2010, a surtax on earnings became effective 1 January 2013.  Since that time, people making $200,000 or more pay an additional 0.9% (for a total of 2.35%).  For a married couple filing an income tax return jointly, the surtax applies to the couple’s combined earnings above $250,000.
People with less than 40 earned quarters of Social Security credit have to pay a premium for Part A. Those rates are increasing to $422 per month in 2018 if a person has less than 30 quarters and $232 if the individual has 30-39 quarters.
The initial deductible (for up to 30 days of in-patient care) is going up to $1,340.  It is then $335 per day, days 61-90; and $670 per day for days 91 and beyond.
 
Medicare Part B
Covers outpatient services and is the type of Medicare that pays the doctor.  Rather than a tax, Part B is paid as a premium.  Premiums will remain at a minimum of $134 for 2018. People earning more than $85k have to pay more as Part B is based on income.  Social Security looks back at your report income from two years prior.  
If your yearly income in 2016 was $85,000 or less as an individual; $170,000 or less as married filing joint, you pay $134 per month in 2018 for Part B.  If your income was above $85,000 up to $107,000 single; $170,000-$214,000 married, you pay $187.50 per month.  If your income was above $107,000 to $133,500 single; above $214,000 to $267,000 married, you pay $267.90.  $133,501 to $160,000 single; $267,001 to $320,000 married is $348.30 per month.  If your individual return was above $160,000 single, $320,000 married, you’ll pay $428.60 per month, per person, for Part B.
 
Medicare Part C 
Part C is an optional part of Medicare that is sold through private companies. It is also referred to as Medicare Advantage. The amount you pay for Part C premiums, deductibles, copayments, and/or coinsurance varies by plan. Look for specific Part C plan costs, and then call the plans you’re interested in to get more details.
 
Medicare Part D
Covers prescriptions, monthly premiums again vary both by plan and income.  Individuals making more than $85,000 and married couples above $170,000 are required to pay more.  See the rate chart, below.  

Don’t want to miss a post? Sign up for the Newsletter and be the first to read new posts.

Leave a Comment

2 thoughts on “2018 Medicare Rates Released”

  1. How is the cost for Medicare calculated for a married couple filing jointly short form 1040 and their total income is less than $85,000. Is there a government publication or law that covers this situation?

    Reply

Leave a Comment

You May Also Enjoy

October Newsletter: 2021 Federal Benefits Annual Open Season

Since the calendar now shows 17 October, evidently September is gone.  Happy (belated) New Year to my contracting and finance friends.  I spent last month in Maine with my daughter and three of my grandchildren.  It was great to be around family and also see the foliage I’ve missed for the past 25 years.  Pictures

Read More »

If “This” is Important, Why Am I Not Already Doing It?

Pinnacle Personnel Services, LLC  |  Debbie Hatch This title is not intended to be a throw back to the trite “if it’s important, you’ll always find a way” fitspo quote.  I don’t believe in that, personally.  There’s so much that’s important, it can be overwhelming.  Life happens.  There are things we can’t control.  I selected

Read More »

Here’s What’s Up with Federal Benefits in July

Pinnacle Personnel Services LLC  |  Debbie Hatch   This year has been so odd.  It seems like it’s flying by – it’s July! – but it also feels like it’s already lasted for ten years already.  Just me? REMINDER:  taxes are due on the 15th.  If you haven’t done them yet (hello, mirror) you may

Read More »